Google

Thai & Lao Food

A Thai / Laos girl, Manivan Larprom shows you how to cook Thai & Lao food through her videos. Her authentic cuisine roots from Sakon Nakhon, Thailand and Paksan, Laos. Enjoy!

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

i hum yie T-Shirt

Here is a T-Shirt that I designed for my baby boy cousins.

I - HUM- YIE translates to
HIM or ME - 'PACKAGE' - BIG

I don't know if it is a universal Lao culture or just the Larprom / Sanoubane family culture but every boy gets the nickname 'i hum yie'.

When people take the English translation out of the Lao culture, they don't know how to take it. A male who hears, 'i hum yie' should take it as a compliment and know that he is loved.

My parents call my brothers and nephews 'i hum yie' all the time. To this day, they've had no self-esteem issues.

I hear my mom call my dad this when she thinks I'm not in the room...maybe that is the secret for their strong marriage.

I still have a few I HUM YIE t-shirts left if anyone is interested!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well to be honest my parents called me hum noy:( im the only boy in the family, wasnt really "noy" lol, that shirt is awesome in my opinion but im a little bigger then XL, maybe a XXL would fit perfect, and I also like to add that your website is an awesome way of showing everyone else that laos food is actually good and most of our foods is based on simplicity, my favourite recipe is kwa me, and ka boun.

12:20 AM  
Blogger Manivan Larprom said...

I'll make sure to get XXL t-shirts for the extra 'hum yie' men:)

Thanks for your encouraging comments.

7:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so hilarious and so true! My husband who is caucasian thought it was the funniest thing also after I had explained it to him. Why is it that a lot of Lao names are after an animal? Like 'me' means bear, 'gai' means chicken and 'bet' (silent e) means duck; all of which my aunt and uncles are named after. LOL. Thank you for sharing your recipes. Oh, I'm thinking of getting that t-shirt for my husband ;)

10:05 PM  
Blogger dci1812 said...

To clear up any confusion, yes, this phrase (hum yie - literally: large member) is a perfectly appropriate way to address an adult male in Thai/Lao culture (although only used in informal speech).

The writer of the post above mentions being called "hum noi" (which means "small member") when he was a boy. This is also an appropriate form of address, but for a young boy (presumably prior to reaching puberty), thus the size difference).

This is a funny t-shirt, and I would have no problem wearing it at the house, or even out on the street in America (no one would know what it means), I would not wear it out in public in either Thailand or Laos, due to the probability of offending older people and more genteel company

1:58 PM  
Blogger jom said...

These T-shits are very funny! i would like to get one for my husband. He's a tall man but not chubby, so maybe size L will be good for him. I also have a young boy. So, It'll be very nice if you can throw in a small one when you send the me an adult size "I hum yie" T-shirt.

How many colors do you have anyway?

Thanks,
Jom

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats funny :) good catch. Manivan, thanks for this site. I have been to Sakhon Nakhon and love it there, I am moving to Pattaya in June and this site will help me make all sorts of Thai dishes for the Ladies ;o)

DAGO

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Joi said...

Thanks for sharing information about Thai/Lao cultures and great cooking recipes. I am interested getting a couple t-shirts.

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com