Google

Thai & Lao Food

A Thai / Laos girl, Manivan Larprom shows you how to cook Thai & Lao food through her videos. Her authentic cuisine roots from Sakon Nakhon, Thailand and Paksan, Laos. Enjoy!

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Black Sticky Rice & Coconut Custard Dessert

Today is my 6 months of blogging and I celebrate with with the black sticky rice & coconut custard dessert recipe.

Dessert Recipe: Khao Sung Ga Ya - Black Sticky Rice & Coconut Custard
1 cup fresh coconut milk
1/4 cup sugar
3 cups cooked black sticky rice (see instructions below)
1 batch from the coconut custard recipe

Instructions on how to cook Black Sticky Rice:
Mix 1/2 cup black sticky rice with 1 cup white sticky rice. Soak over night. Steam for 40 minutes.

In a pot over medium heat, add coconut milk and sugar. Stir to dissolve sugar. Add cooked black sticky rice. Break up rice and stir for 20 minutes or until fresh coconut milk is absorbed into rice. Turn heat off. Spread onto serving plate. Cool to room temperature. Spoon coconut custard over black sticky rice.

An alternative method of serving this Thai Lao dessert is to toss coconut flakes over the sweet black sticky rice and serve the coconut custard on the side.


Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sooooooo happy I found this! My grandmother passed away a few months ago and this was one of my favourite things she would make me. But I never got a chance to have her teach me how to make it. I couldn't find this recipe anywhere. :D

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you tell me what you soak the rice in..water? How much water (or whatever liquid)? Also, I do not have a rice cooker and want to know how to steam the rice in a regular pot. Looking forward to making this. It's my favorite dessert.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Manivan Larprom said...

Add water to cover the rice when soaking. Try using a vegetable steamer. You may need to put cloth under the rice before steaming if the holes of the steamer is larger than the grain of rice. You don't want the rice to fall through.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Juliana said...

Thank you so much for this recipe! My mom and I love all forms of Thai desserts and this is one of her favorites. We just made it adding durian for a nontraditional but delicious variation. It turned out great :). Thanks again!

10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com