Google

Thai & Lao Food

A Thai / Laos girl, Manivan Larprom shows you how to cook Thai & Lao food through her videos. Her authentic cuisine roots from Sakon Nakhon, Thailand and Paksan, Laos. Enjoy!

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Mak Bea - Banana Blossom Salad

I have described how banana leaves are used to make khao dome. Well, banana blossoms or 'mak bea' are used to make unto a salad, added as a filling for rice paper spring rolls, and used to as a garnish for khao bune ba - fish curry noodle soup.

Salad Recipe: Mak Bea – Banana Blossom
1 cup shredded banana blossom
½ teaspoon chopped garlic
½ teaspoon chopped chilies
1 tablespoon squeezed lime
1 tablespoon fish sauce
½ cup chopped green onions and cilantro

In a bowl, add 3 cups of water and 2 tablespoons of squeezed lime. Shred finely, in an angle, of only the purple layers of the banana blossom. Place the shredded banana blossoms into lime water and soak for 15 minutes. Drain water out. Combine with the rest of the ingredients and toss to make the Mak Bea Salad.



Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy your recipes.I am white but my daughter is half lao.Her father and I split up some years ago .I want her to know her culture and heritage. I was taught many lao recipes by his mother Chanthom .I am always searching for more authentic recipes so I can pass them on tomy daughter.I love your style of cooking.Many recipes I found have been americanized alot, which trully changes the taste.I know there is a ritualistic style in preparing lao and thai food which brings out the true flavor and is simply beautiful.It is an art too me, I simply adore it.Thanks so much.
Peace & Love,
Terrah Jamandron from amarillo Texas.

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com