Google

Thai & Lao Food

A Thai / Laos girl, Manivan Larprom shows you how to cook Thai & Lao food through her videos. Her authentic cuisine roots from Sakon Nakhon, Thailand and Paksan, Laos. Enjoy!

Sunday, December 17, 2006

Khao Bune Ba - Festive Fish Curry Noodle Soup

The host of a Lao gathering who calls for a celebration like a birthdays, weddings, new years and Christmas will serve khao bune soup. Khao Bune soup is traditionally made with either fish or pork and I've given you the fish recipe.

If you are serving this soup to Thai or Lao guests they will help themselves so serve the garnish, herbs and sauce in a baffet style. Any left over shredded banana blossoms, shredded red cabbage, Thai basil, and Vermicelli noodle bundles may be rolled into making spring rolls made with rice paper.

For non Thai and Lao guests, I recommend having the individual bowls ready with noodles, garnish and herb. When everyone is at the dinner table, pour the broth into the bowls, add squeezed lime juice and fish sauce. Let the guests mix the soup.

Soup Recipe: Khao Bune Fish Broth
2 lbs grouper or any fresh water white fish like cat fish
2 litres cold water
1 inch galangal
3 kaffir lime leaf
2 inches lemongrass
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoons Thai Lao Curry Paste
1 to 1 1/2 cups fresh coconut milk

Side Garnish, Herbs, and Sauce:
Vermicelli noodle bundles
Shredded red cabbage
Shredded long beans
Shredded banana blossoms
Bean sprouts
Chopped green onions and cilantro
Thai basil
Lime wedges
Dried chili flakes
Fish sauce

Making Khao Bune broth: In a pot over high heat, add water, fish, galangal, kaffir lime leaf, lemongrass, and salt. Bring to boil and cook 20 minutes. Remove foam that rises to top. Remove fish from broth and save the broth reduce heat to medium. Once fish cools, remove the bones and skin. Mince the fish meat by using a food processor, mortar pestle, or just a fork.

In a wok over high heat, add oil and garlic. Crisp the garlic before adding chopped tomatoes. Stir fry for 2 minutes. Add minced fish and stir fry for 2 minutes. Add Thai Lao Curry Paste and stir fry for 2 minutes. Add fresh coconut milk and stir fry for 2 minutes.

Add fish coconut curry into reserved fish broth. Bring the heat to maximum when ready to pour red curry fish broth to khao bune noodle serving bowls.

Making Khao Bune soup individual bowls: In a large serving bowl, add 2 vermicelli noodle bundles. Add small handfuls of garnish and herbs. Boil khao bune broth and ladle about 2 cups into bowl or until it just covers the noodles. Add 3 tablespoons fish sauce, 1 tablespoon squeezed lime juice, and 1 teaspoon dried chilies. Mix and enjoy.


Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Khop jai lai-lai deu for this recipe!

I feared I would never taste proper Khao Bune again (ok, I still have to find time to make it, but at least I have a chance now!)

By the way - while you're right that "there's no taste like home", are there ANY Lao/Thai restaurants in the Toronto area that you would recommend?

12:20 PM  
Blogger Manivan Larprom said...

Vanipha Lanna is a Lao Thai restaurant in Toronto. Their site is www.vanipha.ca. You will enjoy the food because they make it fresh.
Since I started blogging, I haven't had time to go to Thai or Lao restaurants. Maybe I should start a restaurant review blog and force myself to get out more.

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, this is a great website and i love all the photos. i was wondering if you could post how to make the pork recipe also. I am allergic to fish and most seafood, but would love to try this recipe. i have had something similar with chicken and it was incrediable. thank for thanking the time to have this website.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Manivan Larprom said...

I plan on posting the pork version sometime but I can't promise when. In the mean time, for a simple pork version of this soup, instead of stir frying fish, stir fry ground pork and add the same ingredients that the recipe calls for. When I post the pork verion, I'll be making it the traditional way with pork blood and organs.

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I am from the US and stumbled upon this website. I too am Lao/Thai. Been wanting to make Kao Bpune for a while but not sure how. Will make the pork version though. Love this website. Keep up the good work and thank you for the recipe!

Angel

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Char said...

Hi! I've been looking high and low for this recipe. I'm from Hawaii, but moved to Texas a few years ago. In Hawaii, I remember my best friend's mom making the best Kao Bpune I ever tasted! I've been craving it so much (especially when pregnant) since I relocated here. Thank you for posting the recipe and making the video! I have a few questions though: 1)What type of curry did you use? Or did you make it? If I can't make it, what brand do you recommend? Is it Red Curry? Massaman Curry? (I know, that's more than one question there.) Also, I can only find dried lemon grass (bec. I live in a very small town). Will that work? I'm having difficulty finding galangal and kaffir lime leaves too. :( Would you be able to advise me on what to do if I can't locate these? Are there alternatives I can use? Thank you for your time!

11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com