Google

Thai & Lao Food

A Thai / Laos girl, Manivan Larprom shows you how to cook Thai & Lao food through her videos. Her authentic cuisine roots from Sakon Nakhon, Thailand and Paksan, Laos. Enjoy!

Friday, April 21, 2006

Lap Lao Beef

Lap Lao is the national food dish of Laos. It is like a salad dish with meat and Thai Lao herbs tossed together. You can make Lap Chicken, fish, and shrimp. The mint and the Ground Toasted Sticky Rice are the two ingredients that must be in all lap Lao dishes.

Salad Recipe: Lap Lao Beef
1 cup thinly sliced beef that is barbecued to medium rare
¼ cup thinly sliced tripe (optional)
½ teaspoon chopped galangal
1 chili chopped
1 tablespoon chopped green onions
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
2 tablespoon chopped mint
1 kaffir lime leaf
½ teaspoon chopped lemongrass
2 -3 tablespoon fish sauce
2 -3 tablespoon squeezed lime
½ teaspoon MSG (optional)
1 tablespoon Ground Toasted Sticky Rice

Serve Lap Lao beef with sticky rice or Khao Chow which is jasmine rice . A lot of chopping is involved but the hard work is worth it. Also watch the Lap Chicken video.


Labels: , , , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made this recipe tonight - it was very delicious..

Thanks for sharing it!

10:35 PM  
Blogger somsai said...

I like the way you included Bang Nuea, even if you did call it "optional". How about Plah Dek? I normaly don't like it when it's strong, but enjoy it a lot in lap when used moderatly.

Sun Saap

10:59 PM  
Blogger Manivan Larprom said...

Thank you for your comments. I hope you are enjoying your trip in Laos. Yes, Plah Dek is common to Lap Lao Beef. Only the salted juices of plah dek and not the meat is added. If you want hard core Lao, you can also add 1 tablespoon of gall bladder to give this dish a bitter taste. Let me know if you've tried the bitter version in Laos.

12:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was looking for Lao fried rice and found your site. I am not Lao, but was raised by a Lao family. I crave the food all the time! Now that I am grown with my own children, I take them to our "Lao house" for authentic food. Now I can bring a dish home next time, instead of begging for one! You should consider teaching Lao online, as the younger generations seem to have gotten away from the language. I know I will log on with my kids! Thanks
American/Laotian

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sa-by-dee

I made this for my mom and "sap" is what e'mai said when I made this...She had to admit it...LOL. Not as good as e'mai's but very close. I love this site and the fact that you bring authentic laotion food and culture to the public. But I want to shook my mom by make kang nauw mie. Anyone have a good recipe? But I don't like pa dak so one that is good without it. Thanks!!!

3:19 AM  
Blogger Manivan Larprom said...

"Kang Nauw Mie" is posted, bamboo soup. Use only fish sauce if you don't like pa dak.

7:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
I used to eat this Thai dish my good friend's mom use to make for us. It was called "lop" or "lap" i dunno how to spell it. It was Ground beef with a lot of really hot spices and then wrapped in romaine lettuce with some other things. I was very young when I had it last, so I'm not so sure exactly what was in it. I have been craving it lately and I can't find it anywhere on the internet, I was hoping that you might know what I'm talking about and maybe have a recipie for it.

Thanks,
Ryan

p.s.
You can also e-mail me at
rbojanovic@comcast.net

9:43 PM  
Blogger sherbear said...

What is the name of the steamed pork wrapped in banana leaves and do you know how to make it? It has clear noodles and wood ear mushrooms in it. I'm not Lao, but used to know some people who are. I went to a few of their parties and LOVED the food! I crave it all the time now and wish there was a restaurant. If you can post more recipes, that would be great!

Thanks,
Sheree

4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is awesome! My friends are laos and thais. I love laos and thais 'food and try most of your recipes. Thank you for sharing

12:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed a very nice article to read. My cousin was so passionate about the details you gave here.
He also suggested me about Thai Restaurant Parramatta in Australia.

1:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com