Google

Thai & Lao Food

A Thai / Laos girl, Manivan Larprom shows you how to cook Thai & Lao food through her videos. Her authentic cuisine roots from Sakon Nakhon, Thailand and Paksan, Laos. Enjoy!

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Banh Cuon - Wet Rice Paper Spring Rolls

This appetizer dish takes just as much time to make as the spring rolls made with rice paper. For me, banh cuon takes longer because I haven't mastered the process. Plus each wet rice paper must be cooked before rolling. I guess this appetizer is Thai Lao version of the French crepe.

You can purchase the wet rice paper batter and follow the instructions. In my video, I cook the wet rice paper differently from the instructions because that is how my cousin taught me. I fill it with ground pork and dark fungus mushrooms. For best presentation, roll the wet rice paper spring rolls flat. Serve the wet spring rolls with the spring roll dipping sauce.

Please refer to the list of Product Prices on how to get access to all the Thai & Lao Food dvds

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am just writing to say thank you so much for making the effort with your wonderful blog!

I have always loved Thai and Vietnamese food, and when I visited Vietnam and Thailand a couple of years back, I fully realised how much BETTER the "real" versions taste. You think something is good ...then you taste the "real thing". I was blown away!

Unfortunately, I never found recipes or restaurants that made anything that came close. Now that I found your blog I can recreate those authentic dishes!

Thanks again!

Cher

10:31 PM  
Blogger trythaifood said...

I was always wondered how to make the wet rice paper for the Vietnamese rolls.

My husband is crazy for this recipe and yet I couldn't roll it perfect!
I rip the paper every time I fill the roll with shrimps.

Joy

3:20 PM  
Blogger Manivan Larprom said...

For the wet rice paper spring rolls, make sure that the batter is cooked, before rolling, to prevent any holes.

For Spring Rolls made with Rice Paper, soak the rice paper in hot water for less than 3 seconds to prevent holes while rolling.

4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

do thai ppl even eat this? sounds more like the lao version of a northern vietnamese dish <_< god cambodians do the same thing except they actually acknowledge that it's vietnamese

4:02 PM  
Blogger Manivan Larprom said...

I know that Chinese people eat this because I order it all the time at Chinese dim sum restaurants. I cannot find any other restaurants in Toronto that serve wet rice paper spring rolls. However Chinese restaurants serve it with soy sauce and not with the Spring Roll Dipping Sauce. It doesn't matter where banh cuon originates, I'm just glad someone came up with this
appetizer because it is delicious.

7:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you said slowly stir the mix while adding flour, how much flour are we adding?

11:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can buy the mixture at an Asian store. Tip: put foil on the cutting board. Keep a bowl of oil on the side to brush the tin foil. Make sure the foil is well oiled prior to releasing the roll.(after rolling 2-3 rolls) This will eliminate the stickiness and allow you to roll it faster. I love it with slices of the vietnamese pork rolls on top. Yum!

3:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com