Google

Thai & Lao Food

A Thai / Laos girl, Manivan Larprom shows you how to cook Thai & Lao food through her videos. Her authentic cuisine roots from Sakon Nakhon, Thailand and Paksan, Laos. Enjoy!

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Thai Lao Gang Ba - Fish Soup

Today I received the sad news that my Grandfather, at 105 years old, past away in Paksan. How did he maintain his longevity? He meditated about 3 times a day and his diet consisted of rice and fish soup.

Eight years ago, I went back to Thailand and Laos for the first time. During my visit, he asked me to roast him some corn. That was a request I could deliver because I didn't know how to cook Thai & Lao food eight years ago.

I had the corn, so all I needed was to roast it over the open fire pit. The fire was dying so I was rushing frantically to fan the ashes and feed twiggs to catch a spark. The fire kept dying and I ran out of twiggs. I decided to gather more twiggs further from the house.

When I returned, my Grandfather was roasting the corn over the fire with flames! That was embarrassing!

He didn't say anything. He was in his moment. At peace. Roasting the corn. I sat with him. In quiet meditation.

This summer, I had plans to visit him and make this soup....rest in peace Grandpa.

I'll post the video when I get a chance to produce it. In the mean time, I'll share my dad's recipe, which was how Grandpa liked his gang ba.


Thai Lao Fish Soup Recipe for Grandpa Sanoubane:

In a pot, over high heat, add:
15 - 20 cups water
1 fish head or chopped fish with bone
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried tamerand
1/4 cup tomato slices
5 slices of galanga
3 kaffir lime leaf
1 lemon grass piece, about 2 inches

Cook fish for 10 minutes. Then add:
1 - 2 garlic slices
1/4 cup tomato slices
1/2 teaspoon salt or 2 tablespoon fish sauce
1/4 cup slice sweet onion
Garnish with chopped cilantro & green onion

Serve immediately.







10 Comments:

Blogger The Lady Eve said...

My deepest condolences for your loss.

I want to thank you for sharing your Thai/Lao recipes. My Ma is from Thailand, and attempts to educate me on how to cook. There are some things I want to make, but we do not have the time to meet and work on together. This helps me with the time I have. Keep them coming! :)

7:05 PM  
Blogger The Lady Eve said...

I am sorry to hear about your grandpa. I send my deepest condolences to your family.

After visiting with my Thai family, nearly 20 years ago, I have wanted to dabble in Thai cooking. My Ma has worked with me through this journey. I found your blog several years ago, and was pleased to see true authentic and traditional Thai/Lao recipes. My generation has begun to change the recipes; I do not like the new sweet and Hollywood-styles.

Thank you for sharing your Thai/Lao recipes. Keep them coming.

Sincerely,
~Eve

7:18 PM  
Anonymous Food said...

It was so sad, but he had been living for so long. I miss my grandpa :(

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful memory. Thank you for sharing that Manivan.

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your blog! I've been on it since I discovered you in the summer of 2011 when I was looking for recipes for Laos food. Thanks for posting and I hope there's more to come!!! I miss my grandma's cooking but at least I have your recipes to inspire and guide me to my roots. Thanks!!

Diane

2:56 PM  
Blogger iVietx said...

Hello, i think your recipes are great and i'm currently doing my assignment on Lao food and i was just wondering if there any great dishes you can suggest me? Something easy and simple so i can serve my classmates.
Plz and Thank You

10:17 PM  
Anonymous anjii said...

Thank you for sharing this recipe! Keep them coming!

3:43 AM  
Anonymous Aansy Stone said...

Yummy! the recipe sounds delicious, i hope i'll make it as it sounds.

~Aansy @Tapas Westchester

9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

delicious recipes, what another recipes of thailand traditional food??
:)

5:53 AM  
Blogger Most Rev. Gregori said...

Manivan, you are a God-send. I was invited a couple of years ago to a party at a friend's home and they had Lap Lao Beef on their party menu, and I absolute loved it.

I have been search for the recipe high and low and I finally ran across your site just now. I plan to make Lap Lao Beef next weekend.

I have two sons I adopted from Vietnam and one son adopted from Laos (they are all grown now with families of their own) and they have addicted me to Lao, Thai and Vietnamese foods, and they have taught me how to make many different Southeast Asian dishes.

Thank you again for your great site. God bless.

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com